Sunday, January 29, 2017

Chasing the Dream

by Qiyang Li

My dream is to become a game designer. I believe that most of us have had a variety of dreams in the past. My father is a doctor so when I was at 6 years old, I wanted to be just like him and save lives. Unfortunately, because I was afraid of seeing blood I gave it up pretty quick. When I was in junior high school, I enjoyed watching American television series, especially about police and action. I still remember the first action TV series I watched, “24”, starring Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer. At that time all I wanted to be was a police officer.

First Call of Duty game released
After a year later, I received my first computer and my friend introduced me to a game which was very meaningful to me: Call of Duty. I couldn’t wait to play it, but unfortunately it took two days to download due to my slow internet. I realized that the dream of becoming a doctor and police officer was because I enjoyed having a feeling of duty and doing things people most people can’t, but after I was introduced to gaming, I lost the sense of duty I once had. My parents always said I was addicted to computer games, but I knew deep down I wasn’t. I just need to find a passion in video games that I could work for.
         
I recently watched a video which I finally found that passion. It was a TED talk presided by a young woman majoring in computer science and game design. I still remember the words she said that has influenced me since then. She said, “The job I am doing is using computers to create a new world.” The dream of being anything we want is often unreachable but in a fictional world, anything is possible. This is why I want to be a game designer, to create a world that anyone can be the one he or she wants to be.
           
As a freshman at Michigan State, I haven’t spend much time studying in computer science and still have many things that I need to learn, but the goal is still unchanged. I can’t wait to create my own world in the future.

If interested, link to the TED talk can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment