Sunday, February 19, 2017

HTML: Developing Your Own Website

by Steven Wang

My introduction into web development was seeing an ad on YouTube about Squarespace: an all in one solution to create a your own website. Recently, I had the idea to create an "about me" website where companies can access my resume, contact info, and any other important information when networking. As a computer science major, however, I realized it would be ill suited for me to have a website that I didn't code myself so I decided to tackle HyperText Markup Language (HTML), the standard language for creating web pages and applications.

The beauty of creating your own website is having the advantage of deciding how complex or simplistic you want it to be. A website can range from single page plain text to having graphic images or animations. An easy visualization is comparing a website such as Wikipedia to Facebook: Wikipedia is mainly composed of text while Facebook requires video input, large scale images, and chat animations. Although my website will be a one man operation, many websites that represent larger companies may require hundreds of developers that work for hours on a single page.

As mentioned earlier, HTML is the main language in web development. Unlike any other programming language, HTML uses elements in order to create headings, paragraphs, links and other items. Elements are represented as tags, written using angle brackets. Any website generally starts with a heading. HTML has six levels of headings which use the elements <h1>, <h2>, <h3>... <h6>.

Example code

 <!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<title> Heading Example </title>
</head>
<body>
<h1>This is heading 1 </h1>
<h2>This is heading 2 </h2>
<h3>This is heading 3 </h3>
<h4>This is heading 4 </h4>
<h5>This is heading 5 </h5>
</body>
</html>

Result

This is heading 1
This is heading 2
This is heading 3
This is heading 4
This is heading 5

Note that as you have more headings, the font becomes smaller. Elements that contain a '/' in them indicate the ending of the heading or body. Text is just the beginning of what you can do with HTML and I plan on learning more as I believe web development is an essential skill for a computer science student like myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment